I make ripples everyday. Just like my pulse indicates
that I am alive, the ripples I make in life shows I am connected to people. I
might have started making short ripples early on in life. When I smiled as a 3
month year old child, my mother would have felt happiness for a few minutes.
When I cried, she felt sad. As a toddler, when I babbled, those around me
laughed. For a few moments, I helped them forget their worries and sorrows. As
I grew up, the ripples I made were more intentional and longer lasting probably.
When I grew up and stood for truth and justice, I made ripples. When I cared
for others in need, that made ripples. When I was angry and hateful, that made
ripples too. When I forgave others who hurt me, I made ripples in those I
reached out to. When I took decisions that affected my life as well as others,
I made again ripples.
Continuously, I made ripples. Some I knew, some I
didn’t know.
However, I didn’t create any ripples when I
refused didn’t take a stance.
When I went with the flow, I didn’t make ripples.
When I was silent in the crowd, I didn’t make any
ripples.
When I was following without my own thinking, I
was not making any ripples.
I know my ripples can be positive or negative.
Some I have control over, some I don’t. I know it is important to make
consciously positive ripples. I also know that this is a process throughout my
life.
The moment I get up from bed, my life is
dependent on other people. Some of them, I will never meet personally such as
the people who generate electricity for me or the people who produced the milk
for my breakfast. But there are others whom I meet everyday – students and
colleagues on campus, the driver, housekeeping staff, the security people, the
people in the shops I go in the evening, friends who visit us and whom we
visit. Even within that circle of people whom I meet, there is a smaller number
whom I interact and transact. Those who listen to my words, observe my
reactions to situations, who take a note of my responses to adverse news as
well as pleasant tidings. Knowingly or unknowingly they get influenced by my
words, reactions and behaviors. Those are ripples I make.
Physical ripples start a series of circular waves
from center outwards. It may be short and quick or it may continue for a long
time. My ripples may start a train of thought, initiate a change in attitude,
begin a change in outlook. That may grow to make a change in others around me.
In turn they will also be causing ripples in the lives of people in their
circles. It may turn out that such affects of ripples can go far and wide – to
the next generation and after effects may echo down multiple generations.
Some ripples have overthrown empires, changed
cultures, and caused worldwide transformations. A few examples are the ripples made
by people such as Buddha, Jesus Christ, Abraham Lincoln, Karl Marx, Lenin,
Hitler, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa and Nelson Mandela.
In fact everyone makes ripples. Or they can make
ripples. In life, ripples is all what everyone makes. But we don’t see it that
way. We look at some people and say they were great people and so we need to
keep their memories by making statues or naming parks, and buildings after
their names. Sometimes we start institutions in their names. Actually that is
meaningless. They are gone. They made ripples when they were alive. That had an
effect. But after their life is over, it is the ripples that continue – the thoughts,
the teachings, the values, the methods, the adventures. But instead of looking
at the ripples, we look at the statue, the shape of the person made in bronze
or clay. Then we start to adore them and elevate them even to the level of a
saint or a god. We worship the person who was.
The real need is for us to be influenced by ripples
from others and we should make ripples in our own generations. The names, the
physical statue can help a person to remember those ideals the great minds
stood for. To rejuvenate and restart the ripples. But often that memory goes to
a state of worship of the person. Attributing immortality, infallibility to
him/her. That is not right. They probably had follies and short coming which
was evident to those around them. Looking back far into the history, we may not
see them with those blemishes. it is a universal fact that is true in all of
history - everyone of the humans who walked
on the earth had their own weaknesses.
Despite the fact that the world may not know each
of us as as much Gandhi’s and the like, still we can have a circle of influence
that causes ripples. The effect of the ripples is beyond our imagination. It
can transcend time, and ages. If we think on these lines, we will be more
careful in our behaviors and actions, attitudes, stances, relationships.

No comments:
Post a Comment